The next step is building the forms. From the plans, I roughly cut out each of the forms, 21 total. In thinking back, this is probably the first project that I will build from plans. Most of my projects are from my plans which I have drawn up. Sure I have had some help from local furniture stores where I take measurements from but still, I have not purchased the plans. But, for this project, I purchased the form plans and so far I am pleased that I did.
|Cut out forms laid out on a 4x8x1/2"thick piece of sanded plywood|
I then roughly cut the forms with my jig saw. Once I had them roughed out, I used my bandsaw to cut them out exactly to the forms.
Now I had to build the strongback. I could have used a 2x4 but finding a 16' one that is straight enough is quite the challenge. SO I decided to make a solid laminate beam out of the other sheet of plywood that I purchased. I ripped eight 3.5" x 8' long strips on my table saw. I then used another 3M product to glue these together.
Since it is a spray adhesive, I didn't want any over spray on things where I missed the strips. To combat this, I had some 3M masking film laying around. I cut a piece off and draped it over my work bench. You can see it in the picture above. It is thin, easy to cut, laid out nicely and protected my bench from over spray. Once complete, it was easy to wrap it up and dispose of so cleanup from the spray was a snap.
Once I had these together, I clamped and brad nailed the beam along its length.
Somewhere during this process I cut myself. SO, add another 3M product to my list in the form of a Nexcare bandage.
|Just a minor scrape.|
|Scotch Maximum Strength Adhesive|
Once I had it to this stage, I used 3M Blue painters tape around each form. The purpose of this is to prevent any extra glue from sticking to the forms during the stripping process. Since the forms have to be removed once stripping is complete, I want this to be easy to do.
Finally, the completed forms. It is nice to see the shape of the boat coming together.
For the form building, I added seven 3M products to my usage list. These were the Super 77, the Woodworking 20 adhesive, Nexcare bandages, masking film, Scotch Maximum strength adhesive, 3M Blue Painters tape and a 3M sanding belt. This brings my total number of 3M products used to 12. From previous posts I used the Scotch white wood glue, Scotch carpenters glue, 3M all purpose sanding disks, and Scotch tape. One item which I have not taken a picture of but have used is the 3M E-A-R soft yellow neon blasts. I like these as they fit me well and are easy to insert.
So now the forms are complete, the next step will be ripping strips and milling them. Then I can start attaching the strips.