So this project actually started about 3 years ago. For my wife's birthday or Christmas present several year ago, I purchased a print of a Micheal Birawer painting. Not wanting to spend the additional dollars on a frame, I gave her the print and said I would make a frame. So finally in January of this year, I decided it was time to actually start and complete the frame. My timeline was to give it to her on her birthday in February.
I looked around at various frames and pictures of frames and quickly realized that this painting couldn't just have any ol' straight frame. If you think for a second about the purpose of a frame it 1) provides a means to mount the picture to the wall, 2) provide protection and 3) Enhances or shows off the painting.
Sure I could simply tape the print to the wall and cover it with a piece of plastic, but that wouldn't enhance or show it off...in fact, that would look terrible! So I had an idea. After my kayak project http://marcsprojectpage.blogspot.com/ I learned that I could in fact take a bunch of really nice straight cut and planed boards and turn them into something not straight. I decided that this painting needed a not-straight-frame. I needed it to provide a means to hang the print, protect it, and enhance it.
So it all began. In January I sketched a chalk outline of what I had in my head. I took a few measurements of the print so I knew what general size I would be dealing with. I then just drew some things up.
|Chalk drawing on the wall of garage.|
|Scrap boards available in my shop.|
Pine, African Mahogany and maple.
|I then laid the print in to get a feel for how it would look.|
|I then mitered the corners and glued it up.|
Yes, I did have enough clamps!
|To give the corners strength, I added a spline to each of the corners.|
|Curvy outline drawn on the assembly.|
|I used my jig saw to cut away the excess wood.|
My shop helper.
Prior to staining I dado-ed the back to accept the mat and glass. I used my router for this.
I then purchased the glass from my local hardware store.
The other feature I did was to literally rip the print. As you may have noticed in the above picture of the print, there was a white boarder around it. I didn't really like this and it would have made the frame much bigger so I decided to remove it. I think it turned out well and the remaining white ripped boarder kind of sets the picture off of the red mat.
|The finished product in my shop. I coated the outside of the wood with varnish to protect it.|
The whole project turned out well. And, to my surprise, when I compared the final frame to my original chalk sketch, the resemblance surprised me! Total 3M product count for this project = 5. I used 3M wood glue, sandpaper, half-face respirator, ear muffs and safety glasses.
Overall it was fun. The staining was a little messy but I liked how the colors blend into each other. For me, this is more proof that making curvy things out of a bunch of straight things isn't as hard as it first appears.